June 22, 2022
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Internet Service Provider for Your Business
What Is An ISP?
The Internet is an essential factor for businesses and organizations to manage their workings. An ISP is an acronym for Internet Service Provider that is essentially a telecommunication line and equipment that enables the service for the geographic area. ISPs allow consumers to browse the web, manage a business, shop online and build connectivity with friends and family.
Benefits of ISPs
- It enables businesses and users to gain access to the web
- It provides domain registration, email services, web hosting and web browsing.
- It combines information service providers, internet network providers and storage service providers.
However, an ISP is not similar to a telephone company; instead it helps provide high-speed connectivity. As per the FCC (The Federal Communications Commission), an ISP service is counted as high speed when it has a download speed of at least 25 Mbps and upload speed of 3 Mbps.
Points to Remember When Choosing an ISP for Your Business
Internet access and connectivity are essential for businesses and larger organisations that ensure unhindered work management. Businesses utilise the internet for almost all types of communication, such as email, VOIP, processing credit cards, etc.
In addition, increasing video streaming services and other social media channels have made ISP services essential. Thus, the coming section highlights important factors assisting you in choosing the best ISP for your business.
1. Availability at your business location
The availability of high-speed fibre or cable connection at your location is a deciding factor in choosing an internet service provider. Besides, the coverage tends to vary from provider to provider, which may give you limited choices. The ideal search method is using a postcode finder or online zip code to identify the ISP available in your area.
2. Speed and Bandwidth
Sufficient speed and undisrupted service encompass an essential part of businesses. Who would like to have a disrupted internet service or slow internet obstructing your daily work? That makes speed and bandwidth an integral aspect when choosing an ISP for your business.
On the other hand, bandwidth is the volume of data utilised per unit of time. It essentially depends on the volume the medium of transmission can sustain. Therefore, it is vital to check the speed and bandwidth provided by the ISP to ensure the smooth running of your business.
Internet service providers should strike a good balance between pricing and speed. For instance, the ideal cost for small businesses handled through your home can range around $1000 per month. On the other hand, for larger enterprises, speed and reliability are more necessary than pricing. Based on these factors, you can choose a perfect ISP based on your business range and expectations.
4. Types of Connection
The internet connections are broadly divided into fibre optics, Microwave, DSL & ADSL and 4G & 5G.
- DSL & ADSL, also known as Digital Subscriber Line, offers high bandwidth for small businesses over copper telephone lines. On the other hand, ADSL provides a speed of 8MBPS downstream and over 448 KBPS upstream, which is speedy and easy to install
- 4G & 5G broadens opportunities for businesses to have global connectivity with efficient speed and performance. 4G and 5G are both mobile networks that connect your phone to the internet. The key difference between 4G and 5G is that 5G is faster, much faster. Moreover, 5G also offers lower latency connections, and can support more users at the same time, which should help reduce congestion.
- Fiber optics help deliver high-speed data across greater distances at the speed of light. It enables fast download and reliability for internet connection. Ethernet over Fiber media is a connection providing high-speed bandwidth up to 1,10 and 100 Gbps delivered as Ethernet over fiber optic lines, which supports distances as high as 80 Km and more.
- Microwave internet connections get delivered at high capacity using a microwave radio link. It is a line-of-sight wireless communication technology that uses high frequency beams of radio waves to transmit data in wireless connection, it is a solution that functions as a worthy alternative to Fiber.
- GPON: It is a point-to-multipoint fiber access network, its main characteristic is the use of passive splitters in the fiber distribution network, enabling one single mode fiber from the provider to serve multiple customers. GPON has a downstream capacity of 2.488 Gbp/s and an upstream capacity of 1.244 Gbp/s that is shared among users.
An ISP that can provide Fiber and 4G & 5G optics connections can aid in giving backup service, which is critical to ensuring interruption-free network service. It is thus ideal to consider the type of connection for your business when shortlisting your ISPs.
Unstable internet can reduce the productivity of businesses. If your companies expect an uninterrupted service, then it is wise to consider an internet service provider who offers SLA, also known as Service Level Agreement.
These are service contracts that highlight how reliable the connection is. A good ISP keeps everything transparent to its customers. That includes:
- How fast will they provide backup during hardware fails or damage in a line?
- How many days are taken to ship the new hardware
6. Customer Support
Your engagement with an ISP is not limited to the installation alone. There might be many questions related to billing, customer experience, technical support, product add-ons and upgrades.
An internet service provider with a good customer support team is essential. Thus, good research is ideal to ensure you get good quality support for your internet services, understanding how soon they resolve your issues.
On the other hand, timely responsiveness from the team is another vital factor. In one case, businesses experiencing technical issues may need a prompt response to address the issue. For businesses, time equates to money, and if your ISP makes you wait for hours or weeks, that would eventually affect your business.
Security of data is most important in the process of choosing the perfect ISP for your business. Whether large or small, businesses have numerous confidential information and data stored in the cloud service. Most of the files can be accessed through the internet.
It is necessary to check the security level to ensure all your data is safe and doesn’t get hacked.
8. Contract term
How long is the contract length? Most service providers offer services for one year, i.e. 12 months. Studying the contract term by the company is essential to know whether your ISP will keep the internet working even if there is a delay in the payment of instalments. Besides, many ISPs also offer temporary discounts if your business is currently not doing well and increase the bandwidth by a day if there is higher demand. Also, check if any penalties are levied for the early termination of the contract.
Note: Do not forget to sign up for a seven-day trial to evaluate the quality of internet service. The trial will be granted typically after signing the contract. However, the billing cycle will begin post seven days. Additionally, highlight your concerns in the agreement within the free period.
9. Equipment quality and flexibility
Internet service providers are well abreast with the access points alias modems or routers provide the best service. They also know which model will give high-quality standards and have an in-built firewall. Many reputed ISPs conduct a physical survey of the site to understand which access point will support your required functionality.
While most ISPs don’t provide a choice, you can do your research and check if they offer the particular device for your services.
10. Other Critical Points to consider
In this technology-driven era, an internet connection plays a crucial role primarily as a part of the IT infrastructure for any business. However, other aspects like cloud services, email services, VPN and static IP addresses are also integral for the company.
Understand if your ISP also offers any of the above extras that align with your business needs. That will make it easier for you to choose a dedicated Internet Service Provider for your business.
Many factors are crucial when choosing the ISP for your business. Conducting good research on the number of ISPs will help companies identify internet services. Knowing your present and future needs related to enterprises to ensure smooth flow without hindrance in-network and securing your data. Considering the above factors will help you find the best suitable ISP for your business.
Zajil is the leading internet service provider in Kuwait and MENA region with highly scalable and secure internet solutions for businesses. Visit our website to learn more about our internet and data services.
Recent PostsView All
Difference between Backup as a Service vs Platform-as-a-Service (BaaS vs PaaS)
Introduction Writing quality code that converts into a feature-rich, user-friendly software is the ideal strategy for developing an app. However, the developer must choose the correct cloud service to complement the app…